Saturday, July 9, 2016

Baek Mi Dang 百味堂 1964 (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★★☆

My blogger friend kosmose7 from Korea has been giving me a lot of tips on where to eat in Seoul this time and one of his recommendations, Baek Mi Dang (百味堂), is an ice-cream parlor that has been serving soft serve ice-cream since 1964. Wow that's a long long time ago!!!

I picked their Dongdaemun location not really because it's the most centralized location but more for the fact that my team (except me) was so preoccupied with shopping in the area. On the other hand, I got nothing to do other than carrying my nugget around and had to scramble for a place to rest my sore knees ; that's all there is to it!!!



Baek Mi Dang's bread and butter are their milk and soy milk soft ice-cream (3,500 won each).



And if you're looking for a bit of modern twist, how about their version of tiramisu?



As a purist, I am most definitely geared up for their signature organic milk soft serve without question. Mom decided to treat me to one so I went waiting patiently for my cone to be handed to me while mom lined up at the cashier.



Here we have a perfectly delicate organic milk soft ice-cream (Hand talent: mom). This is very milky and creamy. Thanks Kosmose7 for the great recommendation!



Baek Mi Dang is not really a one-trick pony as they have other products available, including 100% organic milk, some cream cakes and cheesecakes too. It's a shame I was a little full to take on more but I would definitely re-visit this place again soon.



Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: ₩₩
Address: Shop 109, 6/F Doota Shopping Mall, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Dongdaemun / Dongdaemun History & Culture Park


4 comments:

  1. Wow, I am glad that you have finally tried it and liked it! Hope you have a great time in Seoul, like I did in Hong Kong last month! (I already miss Hong Kong though. haha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kosmose7. My family and I had a great time in Seoul as always and I promised them I would bring them to Busan and Jeju next time (any good restaurants there?).

      Good to hear that you've enjoyed your time in Hong Kong. There's no question that Hong Kong has a pretty exciting dining scene but honestly, it's trending down due to the economy downturn. On the other hand, Seoul's food scene is getting more and more interesting and I'm really looking forward to the Michelin Guide's arrival later this year!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic to hear that, Hedonist HK!
    And I apologize that I hardly know about Busan or Jeju Island, because whenever I had time to travel, I kept going back to Hong Kong rather than those domestic cities. I have been addicted to Hong Kong since I first moved to the city two decades ago. lol

    I guess ecomonic downturn and consequently sluggish dining scene is not only limited to Hong Kong, but a global trend. Seoul's dining scene is indeed getting better compared to a decade ago, especially in western cuisines and pastries (both of which used to be frustrating here ten years ago, as you may already know!), but it is still far below the level of Hong Kong. In Seoul, there are generally fewer choices, overall food quality is worse, and prices are far more expensive, than in Hong Kong. I hope they will eventually improve as time goes by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seoul's dining scene has improved drastically over the past decade. I still recalled the first time I visited Seoul on business more than a decade ago. Western restaurants and pastry shops were almost non-existing and I pretty much relied on Korean BBQ to fill up my agenda. Same for hotel accommodations, as there weren't as many good hotels around at that time. They put me in a Holiday Inn out of nowhere the first time around and it was pretty awful and was lucky enough to finally get Westin Chosun eventually. haha!

      Delete

Please tell us what you think