Thursday, January 19, 2017

Din Tai Fung (Taipei, TAIWAN) ★★★☆☆

As it's always been the case, Din Tai Fung will kick things off for us as our first dinner venue on our first night in Taipei.



I can't remember eating at this branch of Din Tai Fung at Hsinyi Place A4 before so I assume it's my first time here.



Shaoshing wine marinated chicken (紹興醉雞) - This is one of my favorite snacks at Din Tai Fung. No, wait, it's actually my favorite dish here. This was again very nice. The texture was perfectly getalin like it's supposed to be while the chicken was still nice and tender. That's perfect.



Pork xiao long bao (小籠包) - Another must-try here at Din Tai Fung. This was quite disappointing though. The wrap was not nearly as thin as it used to be and the whole thing was a bit dry both inside and outside. What's a soup dumpling without soup?



Green squash and shrimp xiao long bao (絲瓜蝦仁小籠包) - I had this when I was in Hong Kong too. There're a lot of fillings in there including diced squash and shrimp. The bite was good but a bit bland (again without any soup).



Crab roe and pork xiao long bao (蟹粉小籠包) - Everybody just couldn't get enough of the xiao long baos so we went with our third one, this time it's with crab roes and pork. This was fairly nice and a bit more flavorful than the previous two.



They have this little crab made with flour in the middle so you know it's not the "original" xiao long bao. Very thoughtful.



Noodle soup with braised beef brisket (清湯牛肉麵) - Mom doesn't eat spicy so we got this noodle soup with braised beef for her. I don't know if I'm getting a little picky tonight or what but the beef was way too chewy for my liking.



Stir-fried vegetables (清炒A菜) - Finally, some veggies to stay healthy.



I have always liked Din Tai Fung but consistency (or inconsistency) has always been an issue here across branches. However, I didn't have time to think about this one really coz I still have a second dinner coming up in about an hour.

Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$
Address: Shop B2, Shin Kong Mitsukoshi's Taipei Hsinyi Place A4, Taipei, Taiwan
Closest Metro Station: City Hall
Tel: +886 2-2345-2528
Website: www.dintaifung.com.tw/en/


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think