Sunday, March 27, 2016

Pâtisserie Tony Wong Kowloon City (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been a while since I last took a long stroll through the old streets of Kowloon City so I wasn't surprised to see all these changes in the area. Take Patisserie Tony Wong for example. I still vaguely remember it being across the street from where they are currently now and I had no idea they were on the move.



I still remember that tiny little shop they had before. It couldn't even fit 4-5 people inside at the same time. So this new place is just a breath of fresh air with a small salon in front of the cake counter. How nice is that!?



For the last couple of years, I've been visiting Tony Wong's other branches more often. Their Shatin one particularly interested us due to its prime location but my impression hasn't always been great coz somehow, it felt like they didn't possess the same quality as their Causeway Bay or Kowloon City branch (which shouldn't be the case at all coz the cakes should be centrally made somewhere in a factory-like environment I suppose?). 

It's Easter holiday season so not surprisingly, they have this little chocolate bunny specially made for the occasion.



Lime Silver ($45) - This comprises a combination of strawberry jelly, lime mousse and pistachio sable. I've often tried to shy away from pastries with strong acidity and this one matches that description on paper (with strawberry and lime) but somehow it manages to impress me with the perfect balance of  sweetness and acidity. Very nice.




Hazelnut and toffee cake ($45) - I am always into nutty-toasty flavors so looks like this cake is right up my alley. The toffee and hazelnut mousse combines well with roasted hazelnut and hazelnut dacquoise giving us a very satisfying bite. 




Looks like both new items did enough to impress us in more ways than one. Needless to say, we will be back in the very near future.





Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 65 Fok Lo Tsun Road, Kowloon City, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: N/A
Tel: +852 2382-6639
Website: www.patisserietonywong.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think