Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Plat du Jour (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

This is already my third trip to Plat du Jour at Pacific Place in Admiralty. The first two times I ended up leaving empty handed (or "empty stomached") so I made sure that I wasn't going to be denied for the third straight time. During their soft-opening, they were only offering limited seating (serving the capacity of about half of the restaurant) but as a solo diner, it wasn't an issue at all as I could always choose to sit at the bar.



For a place touted as an authentic French bistro, there're a number of dishes that they've got to do right - steak tartare, mussels and of course their escargot. I was a little curious about their classic Escargot Bourguignon so that was how my lunch started this afternoon. But things did not work out as well as planned. The sauce with parsley and garlic butter was nice but less impressive were the snails which were a little small in size and could've been more flavorful. That was a poor start.



I've been starving for the past few days so some protein would really serve me well. This grilled pork chop looked real promising and I bet it's even bigger than the 300grams that they've advertised on their menu!



This is very meaty and it was a good idea to simply serve it with potato purée, green beans and a peppercorn sauce. Seriously good stuff and definitely won't mind having that again.



For dessert, I went with something printed in red and bold on the menu - apple tarte tartin with caramelized apple, puff pastry and vanilla ice-cream. It's gotta be their signature dish I hope. But was it good enough to be a house specialty? I don't know about that. The puff pastry I thought should have been a little more crispy and that would give it a much more enjoyable bite.



All in all, a decent lunch with room for improvement. The best news I got was the fact that everything on the food menu had 50% off (until 10 February) so I was happy that I came all the way here for lunch.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 007, LG1/F, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2715-0511
Website: www.facebook.com/PlatduJourHK/


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think