Friday, December 4, 2015

L'Eclair de Génie (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Earlier this week, I began to discover all these pictures of some incredibly colorful and beautifully decorated éclairs taking over my Instagram and Facebook feed. I meant it's a complete takeover without any signs! Then suddenly, I remembered what I've just missed. It's L'Eclair de Génie Hong Kong's grand opening at Pacific Place on 25th November!



For those who's been watching TV regularly, they should be no stranger to L'Eclair de Génie. It's that famous Parisian éclair place that was featured in one of "Do Do goes shopping" 《Do姐去Shopping》's Paris episodes.

As it turns out co-founder and pastry chef of L'Eclair de Génie, Christophe Adam was also in town to meet with the media and promote his latest venture. He's an amazing character with worlds of experience including work at the Michelin starred Le Gavroche (London) and Hotel de Crillon (Paris). That was followed by 10 years at Fauchon Paris before he finally branched out on his own in 2012.

Now back to my little adventure in hunting down these lovely éclairs.....so as soon as I recalled their opening, I worked so hard to wrap things up at work and immediately ventured over to Pacific Place but only to find a couple of their staff cleaning the display counter. One of them was kind enough to put a final dagger into my heart, "Someone just beat you to the last éclair a few seconds ago. We are all sold out now." she said. Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.....



So that was last week but tomorrow is another day and I decided to come a little earlier this time around. Despite the long lineup, I finally got my favorite flavors, (N°1) Caramel Beurre Sale, (N°5) Citron Yuzu and (N°136) Praline Chocolat Au Lait.



Very nice packing......



(N°1) Caramel Beurre Sale - their signature and arguably most popular flavor with salted butter caramel on top and creamy mascarpone in the middle. The choux dough was really nice but I thought the salted butter caramel was slightly too "salty" for my palates. 



(N°5) Citron Yuzu - this is the one to get if you want a little bit of acidity. The lemon cream with yuzu glazing, Suisse meringue and Steles was quite a refreshing combination.



(N°136) Praline Chocolat Au Lait - but this is the one that I felt deeply in love with. A very nice balance of flavors coming from the Bahibe chocolate ganache, feuillete praline, a thin chocolate leaf and roasted hazelnuts. I always think praline and éclairs are meant to be together. Aren't they?



Like Ladurée, L'Eclair de Génie took Hong Kong by storm during its opening weeks but the question is, can they sustain the hype?

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Level 2 pop-up store, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2554-7729
Website: www.leclairdegenie.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think