Monday, June 23, 2014

Mott 32 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★★

As I have said two weeks ago right after that slightly disappointing dinner at Mott 32, I planned to come back for dim sum some other time to give them a chance to re-deem themselves. I have the gut feeling that they will do good this time with their signature dim sum.

At noon time, the dining room was almost completely empty. That's a rarity.



I finally got to check out this semi-private dining area. The designer used the train cabin as its design concept and executed brilliantly.

 

This is another dining section close to the bar area with a totally different theme.



Again I elected to start the meal with their signature crispy sugar coated BBQ spanish Teruel pork bun ($60). Have I quietly fallen in love with these buns?

I admit I love that crispy texture. It's kind of a love-at-first-sight thing. But I wish the BBQ pork sauce could be a little warmer (6.5/10).

 

Didn't expect the wild mushroom and water chestnut dumplings ($65) would be this good (7/10).



But the best dim sum of the day had to be these big Kurobuta pork dumplings (siu mai) with soft quail egg and black truffle ($60). They were absolutely mouthwatering!

I was pleasantly surprised with the way the Kurobuta pork, black truffle and quail egg all worked together (8/10).



And nice to see that the yolk was still runny.



Mott 32's barbecue prime Iberico pork with yellow mountain honey ($298) is one of the house specialty and I could see why it's so popular. If you like tender, juicy and melt-in-your-mouth "char siu" (BBQ pork), then you would definitely love this dish (7.5/10).

I think this was one of the best barbecue pork I had recently, perhaps second only to Tin Lung Heen's signature barbecue pork at Ritz Carlton Hong Kong.



This is another encore for us - the fried glutinous Rice with preserved sausage and dried shrimp. It was so yummy (7/10).




One dish I could do without was our dessert - sweetened bean curd cream in mango soup ($80). I don't see how the sweetened "tofu" could work with the mango soup at all. This was just weird (3/10).



With dessert being the only blemish, Mott 32 redeemed itself from a dismal showing 2 weeks ago and made a strong statement on why it has been one of the most exciting new restaurants in 2014.

My personal view: the lunch menu is better than what they had to offer at dinner.  


Food Rating: 7.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Standard Chartered Building, 4-4a Des Voeux Road, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2885-8688
Website: www.mott32.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think