Saturday, October 12, 2013

Paul Bakery (Washington DC, USA) ★★★★☆

Look what I found.....a Paul Bakery in Washington DC!



After fighting the rain all day, we were just glad to find a shelter. Needless to say, we didn't expect to bump into my favorite French pastry shop on Pennsylvania Avenue.



They have all kinds of French pastries and desserts available. Now where should I start?



But first, a glass of hot chocolate to keep me warm. When I ordered hot chocolate, I was hoping for something along the line of what I had at Angelina or Ladurée. Oh, but that's secret recipe.

Perhaps I have set the bar a little too high. This was not nearly as rich as what I was wishing for.



I was struggling to pick between an Éclair and one of their nice looking fruit tarts so I ended up taking both.

At first, the Éclair Pecan did look kind of boring but after just one bite, it was overwhelmed. This was not your typical Éclair found in any pastry shop. According to the description here, it's a "puff pastry choux filled with pastry cream swirled with crunchy caramelized pecans, topped with a fondant mixture".

Enough said......



The Tarte Poire Cannelle topped with sliced pears and cinnamon was almost as good. If it was a little bit warmer, it would be perfect!



Of course a meal at Paul would not be complete without one of their jumbo macarons. Pistachio again, that's my favorite flavor.

 

That was precisely what I was looking for on this miserably rainy day. Something to cheer myself up. Thank you, Paul.


Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: 801 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Closest Subway Station: Archives
Tel: +202 524-4500
Website: www.paul-usa.com




View Larger Map

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think